Monday, October 09, 2006

Wild Weekend ?


Yes, it really is 3:15am as I'm writing this. Sheesh. I can't get to sleep.

My friend K. came to visit for the weekend. On Friday night, we didn't have too much time, but managed dinner at an awesome Mexican restaurant in downtown Tempe. It wasn't a crazy margarita filled evening, in fact, just the opposite. We ate our dinner outside on the patio on a GORGEOUS evening while listening to live guitar. She drank water. I drank Diet Coke. I like to live on the edge, you know? Exhausted, but not ready to call it a night, we drove to my place and got out the old boardgame "Payday." We both used to love to play Payday. However, we discovered that at the ages of 28 & 29, the "fun" of Payday just isn't the same. The whole bill paying aspect really sucked. The excitement just isn't there anymore. We're grown-ups now, we have real bills. Paying bills is not fun. We poo-pooed Payday.

Saturday evening we hit the outdoor mini-putt putt course. 18 holes of true fun. We hit balls into the water and had to recover them, hit them off the course completely and laughed our butts off. The building nearby housed a nifty arcade and offered one hour of all-you-can-play video games for a $4 wristband.

K. danced her fanny off at some funky machine while I set the new record for Frogger. They had more of my old Atari favorites: Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Centipede, etc. No Pole Position though. Drat. I still have my old Atari console and like 30 games for it. I found myself stomping my foot and muttering "fuckers!!" when I got killed. Don't remember saying that kind of stuff in the 80's. :) Together we played air hockey and a few "shoot 'em up" games. Me and K holding red and blue plastic guns. Scary. We cashed in some tickets and gathered our prizes: K. got Silly Putty. I got cheap stickers that turned out to be so old they didn't even stick and two pair of stick on earrings. I haven't tried those yet.

The most amusing part was that we were some of the oldest chicks there. We were surrounded by girls with "JUICY!" written on their shirts with glitter and boys with chicken pictures on their shirts with the words "Chick Magnet." We weren't embarrased though. It was fun! At 12:00am on the dot, there was a loud click and poof! all of the games turned off and there was a mass exodus for the door. Outside there was a caravan of SUV's with dreary eyed parents waiting for their precious teenager to stop flirting and get into the car. Ahhhh....those were the days.


Amazing how much we enjoyed mini golf and a bunch of arcade games on a Saturday night in Mesa. Thanks, K. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home