Saturday, September 23, 2006

I've seen the light - LASIK

First, let me warn everyone that I'm typing with my eyes closed. I can't read the screen very well. :)

So today I had Lasik on both eyes. Woohoo. Hopefully this means the end of glasses forever. I was a bit nervous, but things moved so quickly I didn't have a chance to blink (literally!).

I checked in and was given a lovely surgical cap. My dad also got the pleasure of the ultra hip cap, as he was allowed to experience the whole Lasik thing with me! I hadn't planned on that, but loved having him there.

Okay, so I had to wash the makeup off and remove my glasses next. A nurse took my blood pressure and I signed a bunch of releases. Dad was helpfully listening to the post-op instructions, since I was to nervous to remember anything. Once I was all ready, we walked to the surgical suite and there was a nifty table for me to lay on and a chair (actually in the room!) for my dad to sit in.

I won't go into great detail, but basically nothing really "hurt." It was just freaking uncomfortable. How do you think a suction cup on your eyeball feels?? Not great. Kind of like the pelvic exam at the gyno I guess. Like, "I really hate this, would you please finish up?" Once the zapping was done, the doc checked my eyes to make sure he did what he was supposed to, and promised me a cookie and diet coke in the recovery area.

There were no cookies left in the recovery area. DAMN! I spend this much money and you folks are out of freakin' cookies? I saw the oven, they were the good Otis Spunkmeyer ones, too. I drank my diet coke and was on my way. I was in and out of there in 50 minutes. Turns out I was the last patient of the day (hence, no cookies left. I'm still bitter about that).

The first 5 hours were really uncomfortable. It felt like I had a bunch of eyelashes in each eye. It was not fun to open them. With each hour that has gone by, I've seen improvement. I have three types of eyedrops, one of which burns like a freakin' MO FO. Grrrrrrr.

Okay, funny thing. I just used spellcheck and it suggested "foreskin" for "freakin" in the last two paragraphs. Ha.

For the next five nights I have to wear plastic goggles. This should be interesting. Also included in my "post surgical bag 'o fun" are a pair of dark black granny glasses. Nice. That'll help pick up the men.

I'm signing off for the evening. Update tomorrow.



1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda G. said...

and you made fun of me for posting about blogger's spell check issues! HA!

glad it all went well!

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home